1. RELAY ASSIST will provide the member with Roadside Assistance, on the Australian mainland. Membership must be registered under the name of an individual. The membership will apply to the vehicle, which must be currently registered.
2. Member Services/Benefits will become effective three (3) working days after the receipt of registration. Membership must be current to obtain any services or benefits.
3. Should you replace your vehicle your Membership is transferable (conditions apply). In order to arrange the transfer you must contact RELAY ASSIST during business hours, within 7 Days of vehicle changeover occurring. Transfer will become effective two working days after notification is received by RELAY ASSIST. Membership cannot be transferred to another person. An administration fee of $20.00 applies. Transfer will become effective 2 working days after notification and payment is received by RELAY ASSIST. Payment can be made using a credit card when you apply by phone for a transfer.
4. All fees paid to RELAY ASSIST (including membership fees, administration fees, service fees and “Emergency Join-Up Fees” etc) are non-refundable. Emergency join-up fees are required if you need service within two working days of joining. The fee is $160 on top of your membership fee. This also applies to:
5. Service will not be provided to a member who in our view is abusive, threatening or violent to any RELAY ASSIST staff member or contractor, or who attempts to receive service by deception. Should a member behave in this way we may, after full investigation;
a) suspend or limit services to the member;
b) impose service fees for further service requests;
c) void the membership.
6. Any changes to the vehicle registration number or change of address must be reported to RELAY ASSIST, during business hours, within 7 Days of the change occurring.
7. When requesting Roadside Assistance you must provide the correct vehicle details and the exact location of the vehicle. All services will be at your expense if we are not able to confirm your membership or locate your vehicle based on the information you have given us.
8. Roadside Assistance is only available on any sealed or designated road that the service provider deems to be safe. Roadside Assistance is only provided where the weight of the vehicle is less than 3.5 Tonnes gross and the length of the vehicle is less than 5.5 metres. Roadside assistance is not available for caravans.
9. There may be very rare instances where a service provider is not available to assist you in a remote area. In this instance you will be required to arrange your own rescue or recovery at your own expense.
10. If your vehicle requires a tow, we can assist you in making arrangements for the transportation and or storage of any additional items other than your vehicle (e.g. caravan, car-trailer, horse floats etc) at the drivers/members expense – payable upon request of service. Towing can be provided for all types of vehicles which do not exceed 3.5 tonnes and 5.5 Metres, provided that the Tow can be made with Standard Towing Equipment and such equipment is available. Towing will be provided using the most appropriate equipment available (such as lift-tow or flat-top truck) as determined by RELAY ASSIST. Should Specialised Towing Equipment or Personnel be required (such as power winches, extended cables or hydraulic vehicle moving jack dolly’s etc) this service will be at the driver/member’s expense – payable upon request of service.
11. Any charges for batteries, excess towing, salvage, emergency fuel, locksmiths, holding yards, toll costs, accommodation, car hire or “Emergency Join- Up Fees” etc. must be paid by the driver/member to the service provider at the time of service (failure to pay any of these charges will void your membership).
12. We will not authorise or pay for any service performed/carried out prior to the commencement date of the membership.
13. If you are not in attendance with your vehicle at the time when the service provider arrives the service cannot be supplied and one call-out will be deducted from the member’s’ call-outs. Further call-outs related to the same breakdown will be considered a separate call-out.
14. Roadside Assistance is provided in the event of an unexpected mechanical breakdown. It does not cover vehicle maintenance or permanent repairs. Temporary repairs may be made at the request of the member/driver to mobilise the vehicle (where able). However, regular maintenance or any mechanical repairs, major or otherwise, is the member’s responsibility and will be at the member’s expense.
15. We will attempt to transport all passengers with the vehicle, provided that each person can be legally transported in the tow truck. In the event that we are unable to transport all passengers we will assist in organising alternate transport, such as a taxi, at the member’s expense.
16. Once a service van call-out has been provided for a breakdown, any further call-outs arising from the same breakdown (i.e. requesting a tow truck) will be provided at the member’s expense, payable at the time of the call-out Alternatively, the member can opt to use their second six monthly call out at no charge. This includes towing for a vehicle that has been towed after hours to the member’s home, a holding yard or other place of safety and subsequently requires further towing for the same breakdown.
17. RELAY ASSIST is an emergency roadside service only. Therefore Roadside Assistance services and/or towing benefits do not apply for;
a) a vehicle that we deem to be un-roadworthy, or that is unregistered;
b) a vehicle at a motor vehicle repairer;
c) a vehicle that is partly or fully dismantled or on which repairs have been attempted by anyone (including a licensed motor vehicle mechanic)or has a pre-existing failure or breakdown;
d) a vehicle where the Tow has not been arranged by us;
e) a vehicle that has been involved in or suffered damage as a consequence of an accident, flood, theft, fire or malicious damage;
f) a vehicle which has been modified in ways that in our view increase the possibility of it sustaining damage during Towing , or in ways that make damage-free towing difficult, unless such modifications are removed prior to Towing. This includes modified or factory released accessories;
g) a vehicle which has been driven or transported to any licensed motor vehicle repairer;
h) any parts, labour or other costs related with the repair of a vehicle;
i) any financial loss or liability, however sustained, occurring from or in any way connected with a breakdown or accident;
j) any freight costs (including sea crossings);
k) transportation of a damaged vehicle;
l) any costs related to making arrangements for pets and animals;
m) a vehicle that has been driven against our instruction or the instruction of a licensed motor vehicle repairer;
n) a vehicle that has been transported to a holding or shipment facility;
o) a vehicle that has been used in a car rally or motor race.
18. In the event of a lockout, RELAY ASSIST will reimburse the services of a locksmith up to a maximum of $70.00 including GST. In the event the member insists the vehicle be broken into to recover keys locked inside the vehicle, no responsibility or liability is taken by RELAY ASSIST or its contractors for any damage to your vehicle that may occur as a result. Due to contractor limitations, this service may not be available in all cases.
19. If a member makes use of all the service call-outs in a membership period, you will be required to pay a service fee by credit card at the time of the call for each additional service request. Unused call-outs may not be carried forward.
20. If a member has received and continues to request Roadside Assistance or Towing for a vehicle repeatedly on an unjust and excessive number of instances in a year, we may refuse to provide further Roadside Assistance or Towing and will then offer an alternative service at the member’s expense – payable upon request of service.
21. Limits of liability per membership for each Roadside Assist contract, two (2) call-outs per six (6) month contract.
22. RELAY ASSIST reserves the right to amend prices and inclusions of policies without prior notice.
23. RELAY ASSIST does not cover breakdowns caused by conditions that existed prior to the commencement of membership. Any failure that occurred prior to the commencement of your membership will be at the member’s expense and payable at the time the service is provided.
24. The free of charge towing service offered under the terms of the membership cover is strictly limited to a maximum of 25km from the breakdown location back to the repairer registered as the original issuer of the cover (additional km’s will be at the members expense). In the event the vehicle is more than 25kms from the issuing workshop the vehicle will be transferred to the nearest Relay Assist workshop and in the instance that a Relay Assist workshop is not available or is not able to facilitate the vehicle then to the nearest non Relay Assist workshop. If the tow to an alternate workshop exceeds 25kms the owner will be liable for the excess charge.
25. RELAY ASSIST does not cover any vehicle used in off road events or motor sports events.
In the event that you require emergency roadside assistance under the terms of your cover,
Contact a Relay Assist representative on our form below for any other enquiries.